Message to my patients
To me every patient and every case is an opportunity to do something magical. To create an idealized beauty in form and in function. This involves combining a critical eye in evaluation, listening to patients, having a vision for the possible outcome, executing the plan with precision in surgery, and then following up with close and caring post treatment management.
These have been my guiding principles since I began in plastic surgery and have carried me (as of 2012) through over 15,000 procedures performed since 1993. Every case and patient are unique and I approach each with passion hoping to make a positive impact for that patient which is unequalled.
This web site, a second generation site, the first was created in 2007, allows me to show a selection of these outcomes. I invite you to share my passion in plastic surgery and hope these cases and this site (along with our you tube channel and blog site) help educate you… Please enjoy.
Dr. Spiro received his Medical Doctor degree from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey Newark Medical School. He then did his internship in General Surgery at Stony Brook University Hospital in New York. Four more years of General Surgery Residency including a Chief Residency in General Surgery followed at St. Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston, New Jersey. Dr. Spiro then completed a two year Residency in Plastic Surgery at the prestigious University of Miami School of Medicine. After this Dr. Spiro completed an additional fellowship in Plastic Surgery at Miami Children’s Hospital Cedars Medical Center and the University of Miami.
Dr. Spiro is board certified by both the American Board of Board of Surgery and by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Dr Spiro continues to meet the standards set for continuing education by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and has already recertified his board certification from the American Board of Plastic surgeons.
Outside of Plastic Surgery
In addition to his medical career Dr. Spiro had a career in art. He has illustrated book chapters and numerous articles in the medical literature. He has also had several public showings of his work which is mostly in oils and pencil.
Dr. Spiro was also featured in a landmark show called “Plastic Surgery as Art” at a gallery in NYC, Apex Art. The show received critical acclaim and was reviewed front page in the New York Times art review section. A selection of his works can be found both in the web site under “The Artist” as well as throughout the office.
Dr. Spiro was selected as “Top Doctor” in NJ Top Docs 2013 – 2016
Dr. Spiro was selected as one of NJ Monthly’s Top Doctors the following years 2007, 2008, 2010 – 2015
In 2011, Dr. Spiro was selected as one of NJ Savvy’s Top Doctor’s
In February 2010, Dr. Spiro was selected as “Best Physician” Specializing in Plastic Surgery in NJ Savvy Magazine.
In 2009 and 2010, Dr. Spiro was selected by the Consumer Research Council of America as one of America’s Top Surgeons.
In 2008, Dr. Spiro was selected by Castle Connelly Medical LTD as one of the nation’s “Top Cosmetic Surgeons”.
In 2007-2008, Dr. Spiro was elected by his peers for inclusion in Best Doctors in America.
In 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 Dr. Spiro was listed as one of America’s Top Plastic Surgeons
In 2007, Dr. Spiro voluntarily recertified his boards in Plastic Surgery as the highest commitment to continued education in plastic surgery.
Dr. Spiro has authored numerous papers in the field of General and Plastic Surgery, chapters in text on Plastic Surgery, and was recognized for his assistance in the development and creation of a text in rhinoplasty.
In 1996, Dr. Spiro published an important paper on Breast Reconstruction. It discusses the use of the TRAM (Transverse Rectus abdominis Musculocutaneous) flap for a type of breast abnormality. The paper appeared in the Annals of Plastic Surgery and was written by Dr. Spiro in 1995 during his Plastic Surgery training at the University of Miami.
Dr. Spiro is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a Diplomate of the following:
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- American Board of Surgery
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
Dr. Spiro is a member of or has been a past member of the following professional organizations:
- American Medical Association
- Alumni Association University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
- Fellow Southeast Surgical Congress
- Medical Society of New Jersey
- Essex County Medical Society
- American Physicians Art Association
- D. Ralph Millard Plastic Surgery Society
- American College of Surgeons
- American Cleft Palate/Craniofacial Association
- American Society of Plastic Surgery
- New York Society of Plastic Surgery
- Northeast Society of Plastic Surgeons
- New Jersey Plastic Surgery Society
Dr. Spiro has accomplished the following:
- Member, Operating Room Committee, St. Barnabas Medical Center, 2011-2013
- Member, Board of Trustees, St. Barnabas Medical Center, 2010-2013
- Member, Safety Committee, St. Barnabas Medical Center, 2010-2013
- Member, Breast Center Program Leadership, St. Barnabas Medical Center, 2009-2013
- Chairman, Department of Plastic Surgery, St. Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston, NJ 2007- 2011
- Vice Chairman, Department of Plastic Surgery, St. Barnabas Medical Center, Livingston, NJ 2003-2006
- In 1995 Dr. Spiro co-authored a chapter on Aesthetic and reconstructive facial bone surgery. The chapter, co-authored by Dr. Spiro, appears in Grabb and Smith Textbook Plastic Surgery. The book is considered a must read for all plastic surgical residents and fellows across the country, and is one of the most widely published plastic surgery texts.
- Dr. Spiro co-authored a paper on the idea of combining cosmetic face-lifting with cosmetic facial bone surgery. This article, written in 1995, appeared in the journal, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
- In 1993-1994 Dr. Spiro assisted in the writing and compilation of data, and photography, of various types of rhinoplasty which ultimately led to completion of one of the most complete texts on plastic surgery of the nose. Dr. Spiro wrote the preface to the book and receives special mention in the forward.
- Dr. Spiro, during his Fellowship in plastic surgery co-authored a paper on scientific incisions used in rhinoplasty surgery. This landmark paper marked the culmination of 20 years of a treatment method for cleft lip patients was developed In Miami in the 1970’s. The paper appeared in 1998 in the Journal, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. It scientifically (for the first time) proves that surgical methods for cleft lip treatment resulted in not only the best cosmetic outcomes but also the best functional results.
- Dr. Spiro was given an award for most influential colleague from the Department of Surgery in 1993.
- Dr. Spiro received the Schulte Award in 1993 from the Department of Surgery at Saint Barnabas. It is given for excellence in surgery